Have you ever wondered why oats are considered to be one of the healthiest foods? If yes, continue reading, because, in this blog post, we will share with you why this food is so nutritious and what benefits it has on our body and mind.
What exactly oats are?
Oats are considered to be carbohydrates. However, they are gluten-free, low in fat, low in calories, and at the same time are rich in fiber (oats are with higher fiber content, compared to any other grains) and micronutrients. They contain minerals, such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, iron, sodium, zinc, copper and selenium, as well as vitamins like ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), folic acid, alpha and beta carotene, vitamin A, E, D, K, and group B vitamins: thiamin (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3), pantothenic acid (B5) and cobalamin (B12).
Why are oats healthy?
As a result of being full of macronutrients, oats have several benefits on the health (and beauty).
- Oats are rich in soluble fiber; thus, they keep you full for a longer time, and you eat fewer calories per day. Besides, they slow the digestion process and do not allow sharp fluctuations in the blood sugar levels, which helps for better and healthier weight management.
- Oats reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases, as they lower the bad cholesterol levels in the arteries. In the long run, the antioxidants in the oats generate good cholesterol, lower the blood pressure, and reduce the risk of heart attack and chronic hypertension.
- Oats keep healthy and balanced levels of hemoglobin (a protein that transports and stores oxygen in the blood vessels), because of its high iron content.
- The zinc and copper in oats reduce the free radicals (and the damage they cause) in the body and keep your immune system strong and intact. Also, they support the health of the nervous system and act as anti-inflammatory agents.
- Oats have a positive impact on the brain, as it gives it a long-lasting energy boost. Scientific theories say that children who consume oatmeal are more concentrated and perform better at school.
- B-complex vitamins in oats reduce the risk of depression and anxiety, thus contribute to enhanced mental health.
- You can use oats as an ingredient in homemade face and body cosmetics. Its antioxidants help the skin to recover from free radical damage and relieves inflammations.