We have already talked about the benefits and drawbacks of fruit consumption.
However, fruits can differ in their nutritional value and health benefits. This article will guide you through 6 of the healthiest yet budget friendly superfruits out there! The ones that can also be called “Superfoods” because of their strong beneficial properties!
Keep in mind that the recommended daily fruit portion is about 1 cup. Such amount of fruit can ensure optimal benefits of fruit consumption and limit overconsumption of fructose.
Let’s dive in!
Table of Contents
Which are the healthiest fruits?
They have high vitamin C content, as well as potassium, fiber, magnesium, and folic acid. Citrus fruits include orange, lemon, mandarin, lime, grapefruit, pomelo, and others. The significant benefits of citrus fruits consumption include :
- Protect you from various types of cancer, including lung, stomach, breast, and pancreas.
- Keep you full for a longer time, due to high water and fiber content, yet are low in calories. Also, they help with digestion.
- Support kidney functions. They release high citrate levels, which prevent the formation of kidney stones and break down already formed ones.
- Support brain and bone health.
Berries are the fruits with highest antioxidant content. This type of fruits includes strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, blackberry, cranberry, goji berry, grapes, acai berries, and others. The health benefits of berries consumption include :
- Support cardiovascular health in long term consumption
- Balance blood sugar levels. Long term berries consumption can lead to balanced blood sugar levels.
- Help with weight management, as a result of balanced blood sugar levels.
- Can be consumed during all types of diets, as they have a low glycemic index, low carb, and high fiber content.
- Support gut and digestive health, due to their high fiber content.
- Reduce inflammations. Due to their high antioxidant content, berries may relieve symptoms of inflammation (caused by free radical damage).
Apples are great source of fiber, phytochemicals, vitamin C, and are low in calories and fructose (fruit sugar). The benefits of apples consumption may include :
- Help you lose weight. 1 Apple has only 95 calories and is with low glycemic load, which is likely to prevent sharp spikes in blood sugar levels. Besides, eating an apple may keep you satisfied for a long time due to high fiber content.
- Support heart health and balanced cholesterol profile.
- Decrease the risk of type 2 diabetes and support insulin production
- Lower the risk of lung cancer development.
Pomegranate is rich in various micronutrients, including vitamins C and K, folate, potassium, and copper. Consumption of raw pomegranate may offer you various health benefits :
- May protect against brain diseases, such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.
- Can reduce oxidative stress in the body and protect the body cells from free radicals, due to high antioxidant load.
- May protect the body cells from cancer development (e.g., lung, breast, colon, and skin cancer)
- May reduce inflammation, as well as related diseases and infection.
Even though yellow bananas have a bad fame as fruits, their green version is actually not only delicious, but also very healthy! Those fruits are awesome source of fiber, resistant starches, vitamins A and C, as well as potassium, magnesium, and zinc. Health benefits of green bananas may include :
- Support intestinal health and prevent colon cancer.
- Improve immune response.
- Improve digestion and insulin metabolism.
- Balance and control appetite.
Apart from being super tasty, pineapple is packed with vitamins C, B, fiber, potassium, calcium, and bromelaine (protein digesting enzyme). The consumption of pineapple can be associated with the following health benefits :
- Improve and support healthy digestion process.
- Reduce inflammation and prevent inflammatory diseases.
- Support immune system and immune response to protect the body from external and internal damage.
- Reduce the risk of macular degeneration and supports eye health and vision.
Moderate and controlled consumption of fruits supplies the body with key micronutrients. But you often don’t need to look for expensive and exotic fruits to get the most health benefits out of your fruits!
Citrus fruits, berries, apples, pineapples, green bananas, and pomegranate can be a great and budget-friendly way to introduce more vitamins, minerals, and fiber into your diet, without consuming excessive loads of calories!